Shani Jayanti is the day when Lord Shani, son of Suryadev took birth. His birth anniversary is on Amavasya tithi of the Vaisakh month. Lord Shani rules the planet Saturn and has a strong influence on everyone’s life as per astrology. Hindus from all communities worship Lord Shani to avoid the malefic influence of God, in their horoscope. Especially devotees who have sade sathi or Saturn cycle in their life fast and pray on this day to Lord Shani.
The purpose of fasting on Shani Jayanti is to please Lord Shani with prayers and visiting Shani temples so that luck and fortune are received by individuals. It is believed that the position of Shani in the horoscope along with other Nava Graha should be nice so that one’s hard work is paid off in this life.
Rituals for Shanti Jayanti
- On this day special Shani Shanti puja, havan, yagya are said to be beneficial apart from regular Saturday pujas.
- These pujas can be performed in either Navgraha temples or Shani temples in your locality.
- On the day of the puja, the idol at home or temple is cleaned. Ganga jal, panchamrit, oil, and water is used to clean the idol one after the other.
- The idol is offered nauratnahaar (necklace of nine precious gems) and puja is performed.
- Shani strotra or shanti path should be read after puja to please Lord Shani so that there is no hindrance in one’s growth.
- It is believed that donating black clothes, black til (sesame), or mustard oil on this day benefits the devotee. He/ she can lead a hassle-free life.
- If, you are will to get Homam done on this day, remember to get it done from a good priest and not give ample money to someone who is not a pandit and is cheating you in the name of God.
Shani Jayanti has a lot of influence among Hindus who are God-fearing. This festival is specially celebrated in the Madhya Pradesh State of India. Thirunallar Shani Temple and Kokilavan Dham Sani Dev Temple are famous in the country.